Thomas and Margaret Ahearn arrived in the United States in the early 1860’s escaping the great Irish potato famine. They purchased a portion of this site containing 35 acres in 1866, one year after Lincoln’s assassination. The original apple trees were replaced by a variety of crops. The farm eventually grew to over 200 acres.
Thomas’s son John transformed the business into a dairy farm in 1912. It became a well known thriving dairy farm for the next 60 years. The farm sold milk in Worcester through the depression and the two world wars. The family’s dedication and hard work paid off well for the Ahearn family. The farm under the direction of John’s son, George, breeded many prize winning Holstein cows. They were pioneers in the newly evolving field of embryo transplants.
The farm was shut down in 1986 and the cows were auctioned off, some at over $100,000 each and were dispersed all over the world including Japan and Sweden. George sold the land to a real estate trust in 1986 and moved across the street where he always keeps a watchful eye on Juniper Mist Farm.